October is national arts and humanities month which is the largest celebration of all things creative through out the country! At First Fridays we will celebrate with music, art, dance, poetry, and of course community!
- The Expo Art Center will have plenty of arts and cultural experiences for everyone!
- The main room will have over 30 different artists with various styles from fine art to photography to animation!
- Toaster Music has curated two amazing shows in the north and south galleries. The north gallery will host the art of Francisco Reyes Jr. aka Never Made, along with improvised music by Toaster Music, video art by Sander Roscoe Wolff, musical guest Steve Proctor and improvised dance by Maha and Company. The south gallery will host a group show curated by Connie Ericson with featured artists Ryan Chun, Michael Petow, Ekundayo, Jonathan Robinzuela, D-artist and Mr.Flaks.
- The Back Room Theatre will host our spoken word all stars featuring poets Shyy but Fly, Jragonfly Jon, NERD and special featured poets. There is also an open mic portion so arrive early to sign up!
- Head to Rasselbock for their Oktoberfest celebration! They will celebrate in their (parking)-lot with German polka band, beer stands, BBQ, food specials, and all the Oktoberfest fun you see at the original Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany. Kid and dog friendly.
- Salon Medusa will hold a bake sale for breast cancer during First Fridays and will host Saint Billy Bodley Band with Recreation Fitness!
- The Ronald McDonald House will host their 2nd Annual Pumpkin Patch in front if Expo to raise money for Smile Squad. The Smile Squad is a new youth volunteer group dedicated to supporting the mission to help families of kids facing serious illness!
Kids age 4-12+ stop by Averyboo Arts to make faux stained glass inspired by Marc Chagall’s “Peace Window” located in the headquarters of the United Nations. Promote peace through Art!
- Pop into The Better Half Boutique for food, drink, and Spin to Win at check out! Damsel in Defense will also be on site to educate about their protection products!
- Get your cheese fix at Cheese Addiction! They’ll be tabling in front of their soon to be open shop at 4238 Atlantic Avenue!
- Kids, big and small, can get their faces painted at Boardwalk Properties and Twig & Willow.
- Mommy 4D will host an ArtOber crafts table for kids!
- Stop by Jammin’ Music for their monthly student showcase and jam session!
- The reptiles will be out at Rick Wickeds for your cuddling pleasure and live music by JusTodd.
- Join The Rivera Group for a night of games, music, and dancing!
- Twig & Willow will host Long Beach Creamery, Lizbeth face painting, hair braiding by @_BRAIDSETC_ and henna tattoos by Naomi!
- Pop by Secrets of the Islands for their First Fridays festivities! Get a FREE 10 minute chair massage, a picture with Punchie the Pineapple, treats, and enjoy live music!
- Join The Bixby Trading Post for their Vegan Fest, Pop-Up books store, live music and art installation.
- Head over to Pixie Baby for First Books! Story time starts at 6pm!
- Free Spirit Yoga will host artist and illustrator Tracey N. Townsend. Alana Rules of Moon and Horn will be offering up her mystical line of Halloween inspired bath treats. Also enjoy musical guest the Transers Acoustic.
- FREE parking at the Bixby Business Center on the corner of Atlantic and San Antonio.
- Special guest entertainment for the month: MOVE Does Hendrix at Ground Control, Billy Rose at Edgar & James, Dave Shelton at Willmore Wine Bar, Michelle Mangione at DRNK, Saint Billy Bodley at Recreation Fitness, Cheeky Few at Aura Thai/Bella Pizza, DJ JusTodd at Rick Wickeds, 8 Bit Jazz Duo at Historical Society of Long Beach, and John Dean at The Bixby Trading Post.
- First Fridays favorites are back such as at Headgehog Swing at Coffee Bean, DJ Phil at Ambitious Ales, DJ Bill at SteelCraft, Toaster Music at Expo Arts Center and Hot Club at Georgie’s Place.
- Get your vinyl fix with the Record Truck!
When the businesses start to close, “First Fridays After Hours” begins. Lola’s Mexican Restaurant, Rasselbock Kitchen + Bier Garten, Weiland Brewery, Willmore Wine Bar, and Dutch’s Brewhouse go late into the night with food, drinks, and music. Why go home early? Stay out late and continue the energy Dine on Art-Lantic Avenue at one of our tasty restaurants then grab the trolley that will transport you venue to venue from designated stops at the participating businesses.